Re: Problems above 3000 RPM

To: "joe gorman" <gormanj@ywave.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Problems above 3000 RPM
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 09:05:44 +0100
Firstly it is quite normal to have the oil gauge flicker at a certain rpm.
This is dependant on the oil pressure and relief valve and spring
characteristics and so is different for every car.  Not all do it but many
do.  But your oil gauge is electric (assuming North American spec) and so it
is possible that when the engine is bucking and missing it is waggling a bad
connection and causing the gauge to flicker.  Is the tach similarly
flicking?  If so you have a problem in the ignition LT circuit i.e. ignition
key - white - coil - white/black - points - distributor ground wire circuit.
If not then it is probably HT or fuel.  3k is a bit high but I have
diagnosed HT problems by clipping a timing light on to each plug lead and
the coil lead in turn and watching the flashing as the misfire occurs.  If
the flashing gets irregular with the misfire then it is a problem with coil,
rotor, cap or leads.  It is also possible that one or more plugs is breaking
down, or though this is more likely to happen with load than revs.  If the
HT is regular then it is probably fuel.  First step is to remove a pipe from
a carb (watch out for a spurt if the ignition has been on recently), direct
it into a container and switch on the ignition.  It should deliver at least
one pint per minute.

PaulH.