core plug leak

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: core plug leak
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:03:44 -0600
Part of this weekends projects was to work on my MGs. While checking the
underside of my newly restored 72B, I noticed a few drops of greenish fluid
at the point normally reserved for oil drops  - accumulating at the
bellhousing junction between engine and transmission. Naturally, that
required additional inspection to determine the source of the leak and I
see that two of the three core plugs are leaking, the rear two. Perhaps I
should call it more seepage as it is so slight that it is not leaving any
noticeable signs on the ground. The middle one appears to be the worst one
as it shows a slight trail of antifreeze below the plug and I suspect it
seeps so slight that most of the coolant is lost due to evaporation before
it hits the ground, at least at this point.

I have never dealt with core plugs before. These were installed by the
machine shop when I had the engine rebuilt about 1000 miles ago. Do I need
to remove and replace? Or can I seal these off with an additional whack
and/or some kind of sealant? I'd have to remove the distributer to get to
the rear one but the center one is somewhat accessible as is.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B