Re: MGA panel supplier recommendation

To: "Mark L. Lambert" <markl@tibco.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA panel supplier recommendation
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:03:48 -0500
At 09:13 AM 7/15/04 -0700, Mark L. Lambert wrote:
>Does anyone here know of a guy named Jorge Cervera who makes panels and
>grilles for MGAs?  I've seen his stuff on EBay and his ads talk a lot
>about high quality reproductions, show chrome quality, etc.  His stuff is
>rather expensive, so I'm looking for recommendations one way or another
>before buying anything.

He asked me once to post a small ad for his parts on my web site.  I tried
to get a full list of MGA parts he makes, not even asking about prices, and
he said he doesn't have such a list.  Rather lax in the way he does
business I guess.  He also insists that he will never sell to the larger
Brit car parts disrtibutors, but I suspect it may be the other way around,
probably a pricing issue.

Some of his "reproduction" parts are made from heavier gauge steel than
originals (maybe most of them).  Body panals may be one gauge step thicker,
which might be a good thing, depending on your point of view.  But I hear
his MGA fuel tank is about twice as heavy as the original part, which
sounds like a substantial weight penalty to me.  My original 46 year old
fuel tank is still holding up fine, and new ones should too if properly
painted (and not allowed to sit half empty for prolonged periods).  So I'm
not real keen on the idea of making heavier parts for a sports car.

But otherwise I've head a few good comments about the quality of his
parts.   So far only one mention that a grille didn't fit to the
indentation in the body, but I couldn't verify if the body was original or
might have been tampered with.  If anyone has any additional information,
I'd like to hear it.

Oh BTW, I believe the factory is in Mexico, with a retailing outlet
possibly in southern California, not that anyone should care.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude