Funky Overdrive

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Funky Overdrive
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke" <pokrefke1@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:10:48 -0500
I noticed last night that the overdrive on my MGB was acting, well, "funny".
The OD would engage and disengage with the flick of the switch, but if you
let off the gas, the car would "freewheel" with no compression braking.
Still, you could feel the OD positively engage or disengage when the switch
was moved.  Enagaging reverse would not back the car it up, it only made a
noise that sounded like something slipping.  I assume this was the OD not
disengaging, but I got on the highway and OD would engage and disengage with
the flick of the switch.

To make it more confusing, I let the car sit for 24 hours.  I just tried it,
and reverse and  OD work fine.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Thank you,
Thomas James Pokrefke, III