Re: TD Generator

To: canews@telus.net
Subject: Re: TD Generator
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:12:47 -0400
Grant,
   When metal filings appear it is because the armature and the windings
are making contact.  Most common cause of that is the rear bushing has
worn, allowing the armature to strike the windings. I would take the unit
to a shop and get their opinion of its condition. The shop may be able to
obtain new windings or move them over from another old generator.
   A TSO article mentioned that the felt lubricator should be oiled, not
greased as the handbook calls for. I assume that the reason is that the
oil will soak through the porous bushing better than grease. Whatever one
does, it should be done frequently.   The front end of the generator has
ball bearings that withstand the tension of the fan belt. The ball
bearings act as a fulcrum so that belt tension causes a sideways pull of
the armature against the rear bushing, which is why the fan belt should
be as loose as possible.  These old-style wide belts can be quite loose
and still turn the generator without slipping.    The usual tension
measure is 1/2 inch deflection of the belt. A better one for TDs is just
sufficient to keep the belt from slipping on the generator pulley when
the headlamps are turned on.
Bob

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:01:54 -0600 "Constr AB News" <canews@telus.net>
writes:
> Unfortunately, I'm noticing that my generator is starting to leave
> metal filings on my fender and the fan is starting to wobble a little.
So