My Garage Find MGA - It's Alive (I Think)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: My Garage Find MGA - It's Alive (I Think)
From: "Constr AB News" <canews@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:45:31 -0600
Hello List and Happy Monday!!

Well I got my new A home on Saturday, this car looks better than I imagined.
This is the one I found that hasn't been run for thirty years.

After having all of the neighbours stand around and hum and hah about it I
finally got down to work. I filled the crank case with oil, removed the spark
plugs and put a lighter fogging oil down each of the cylinders and installed a
new electric fuel pump. Filled the radiator, gear box, rear diff.. all  the
fluids. It does leak oil pretty bad, but I'm hoping that will decrease once
the seals soak some up and swell a bit.

After moving the motor with the crank handle to make sure it wasn't frozen, I
turned it over with the plugs still out and with baited breath watched the
pressure gauge. After a few seconds the pressure needle rose quite nicely to
30 pounds I HAVE OIL PRESSURE!!!

Now tonight I'm installing new plugs, points, condensor and fresh gas and
going for ignition. Can't wait.

If the motor runs fine I'm going to start on the hydraulics and see how much
work I have there. Brake pads look new, but I imagine there is no rubber left
in any of the brake cylinders (although I do have clutch). So I'll start
rebuilding the master and bleeding and see how much leaks.

After that just lights and stuff (although the only thing I can't get to work
is headlights, but I haven't even started to look at that yet.)

My goal is a car show here in St. Albert, Canada on August 7th, it may not be
all together, but I fully plan on getting it to the show on it's own steam.

I started adding all of the things up that I will need (interior mirror, a
cable to close the bonnet, etc, etc) But found all of the bits in my boxes of
spares that came with the car. This is sweet.

I need new bumpers, a new grill and a new MG logo for the trunk, but these are
all things I can acquire over time. For now I'm just dying to get the thing
running and go for a ride.

I hope to put some more pictures up tomorrow.

Cheers

Grant Bush
Edmonton, Canada
50 TD