Re: spark issues

To: "Rick Lindsay" <rick@stoolhead.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spark issues
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:16:45 +0100
There is no real reason why the Pertronix 'knows' which plug it is firing
and hence manages to deliver a weak spark consistently to two of them.  If
the cap, leads and plugs really are good (and new components can be bad)
then that leaves the rotor and distributor itself, e.g. shaft wobble.  There
is also the possibility that the Pertronix itself changes the phasing of the
rotor, which is evidenced by the timing being significantly different are
going to Pertronix from points, and possibly yours is marginal and on two of
the plugs the rotor is actually moving away from the cap contact as it
fires, increasing the gap and weakening the spark.  In this case I would
expect to see four good flashes when the timing light is clipped onto the
coil lead.

PaulH.