RE: Tuning

To: "'Eric'" <eric@erickson.on.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tuning
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:58:58 -0400
 There has been a lot of talk on the list lately about throttle shafts and
bushings wearing out.  I don't recall the status of your carbs but I think
that my experience with it was similar to your problems here.  I would
balance the carbs and five minutes later they would be dramatically out of
balance.  Half the engine was rich, half was lean.  Some days it wouldn't
start and others it would run great.  It could be that your rear carb is
fine but the throttle shaft on the front one is leaking.  If this were
happening it would weaken the mixture on that carb.  If you set the two
carbs based on adjusting the rear one to match the front's physical settings
then it would be way rich.  Try shooting some water or carb cleaner around
the throttle shaft bushings and see if the engine reacts at all.  My
experience was that the shaft didn't always leak so you couldn't just adjust
for it, so no tuning method will work reliably until the leak gets fixed.

Just a thought.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer