MGB gauge trouble

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB gauge trouble
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 07:25:46 -0700 (PDT)
I recently replaced the dashboard in my 1971 MGB.
When I did, I changed a bunch of the functions over to
toggle switches, so there was some minor rewiring that
took place at the time.  Now, after buttoning it all
back up, I have some gauge problems that didn't exist
before.

EVERYTHING worked perfectly before I took it apart
(story of my life, by the way).  Now, after the swap,
my fuel level and water temperature gauges read only
at the far low end of their scales.  That is, when the
tank is full to the brim, the fuel gauge reads only
about a 1/4 tank, and then it goes down from there.
So when the tank is 3/4 full or less, the fuel gauge
is reading empty.  The water temperature gauge is even
more extreme.  Stuck in traffic on a sweltering 90+
degree day, the gauge will climb just a tiny amount
off the C, even though I know it should be reading
well up toward the H.

My first guess is that I have a voltage stablizer
problem, but wouldn't it be a strange coincidence if
the stabilizer went bad right while I was swapping the
dashboard and gauges around?  And wouldn't that affect
the oil pressure gauge and tachometer as well (both of
which work perfectly)?  Could I have done something
else with the wiring that would cause this problem?

Oh!  One other clue:  When I hooked everything back
up, I inadvertantly misconnected some wires to the
tach, which caused a short and blew a fuse
instantaneously, knocking out my brake lights and turn
signals.  I got it corrected pretty quickly, but could
this have damaged the voltage stabilizer or something?

Many thanks in advance,

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005