Re: Glow in the dark

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Glow in the dark
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 12:06:54 -0500
Hans Duinhoven wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> Most times I'm quite capable to find where Lord Lucas is teasing me.
> But yesterday I found a funny new bad habit:
> When driving at night the battery lamp glows dim when the direction light is
> blinking.
> It goes on and off in the blinker's tempo.
>
> When the revs are up, the battery lamp is off.
> Should I be worried?
> My idea is to start measuring the battery voltage at certain rev counts.

Hans, this usually means one of two things, sometimes a bit of both:

1. one or more diodes are going weak in the alternator.

2. There's a wonky connection somewhere in the charging circuit.

I have had British cars that would glow the ignition light slightly
and do it for years with no adverse results. If it gets bad enough to
pull down the battery charge over a few nights, it's time to redo the
alternator.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm