Re: Timing with Pertronix

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Timing with Pertronix
From: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:19:45 -0400
Paul, et al,

  I will be setting the timing on my 80 B this weekend as
it pings under hard acceleration.  I have the Crane
ignition. I assume that the process is the same?   I will
be using a timing light.  Also can someone remind me where
in the engine compartment it is convenient to grab power
for the timing light ?

Thanks
   Gene Balinski
     80 B

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:30:45 +0100
 "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> It shouldn't need a different timing to running with
> points, but don't
> forget that with today's fuels and older engines with
> worn and possibly
> non-original parts timing is best done by trial and error
> anyway, setting
> the most advance you can get away with without pinking at
> any combination of
> throttle, revs or load.  A North American 73 would
> probably originally have
> had an 18V 672/673 engine with a 25D4 41491 distributor.
>  This set-up had a
> static timing of 6 degrees and a strobe of 15 degrees at
> 1500 rpm.  With
> unleaded and lower octane fuel you may have to *retard*
> from this.  Vacuum
> source should be manifold, so you would set the timing
> with the vacuum pipe
> disconnected and the manifold plugged, reconnecting
> afterwards and resetting
> the idle speed as required.  Connected you may well see
> 16 to 20 degrees of
> advance at idle.

http://www.nni.com/

Check out the new British Cars Forum: