Re: Turn Signals - MGA

To: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@mis.net>, "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turn Signals - MGA
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:21:35 -0500
At 09:13 PM 8/22/04 -0400, Mike Razor wrote:
>Some of the turn signals work some of the time, some times none work.

Sounds like the turn signal relay box on a 1500 model acting up.

>The right front turn signal has been out for several months, I think it
>has a bad socket.

This may otherwise be a dirty contact in the relay.

>Today, sometimes all the rest would work sometimes none would work,
>sometimes left rear only, sometimes left front only, sometimes all but
>right front.  Sometimes the interior indicator light would light up while
>they were working and sometimes not at all.  No pattern that I could see.
>The flasher unit would click as it should and then sometimes it would
>squawk and then quit clicking.

This is likely to have more than one problem.  Diagnostic instructions are
extensive.  Check here:

Wiring - http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/circ_f2.htm
Flasher - http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et104.htm
Relay - http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et105.htm
Gremlins - http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et103.htm

If you should perchance have a 1600 model with no relay, then see here:
Wiring - http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/circ_f3.htm
and ignore everything else pertaining to the 1500 type relay.

I have sent a more detailed response to Mike privately.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com

Check out the new British Cars Forum: