rear axle slop

To: MGS-List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear axle slop
From: James Harwood <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:46:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Listers, I need your advice.
To replace worn rear springs and bushings on my '74
CBB, I finally got the rear axle out into the daylight
and noticed that the breather cap was missing. There's
just a hole in the top of the RH tube to let the crud
in.

Then I tried carefully turning the wheel hubs by hand
and found that there was about 1/4 inch of slop
measured at the brake drum studs. As I meet resitance
in the diff at each end of this turn, there's a quite
quiet click.

I'm thinking of removing the back plate to investigate
further once I have the many years of grime cleaned
off the assembly.

I should say that there were no apparent problems with
the rear axle when I last drove the car, except for
noticeable real axle steering which should be cured by
fitting the new spring pads, plates and u-bolts.

My question is: should I be concerned about this right
now, or shelve the problem until later?

Moss catalogue suggests that it could just be a matter
of replacing a few thrust washers. How invlolved is
such a rebuild? Would I need to replace all the oil
seals at the same time? Is there a tech writeup on the
rebuild process?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
James H