Re: 72 mgb 1800

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 72 mgb 1800
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:35:53 -0600
The two tests I know of -

1. Check voltage to the solenoid to see if its getting 12v
2. Check resistance of the solenoid - I forgot what its supposed to be
although the information is buried in the archives. But if the solenoid is
bad, it is likeliest in the solenoid coil so the circuit will not show any
continuity if its bad.

Both tests should be quick and easy, except for perhaps lying under the car
and undoing the wire between solenoid and switch on the transmission to
check voltage and resistance - its a somewhat tight fit for the hand to get
in and out.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B

At 07:19 AM 8/28/2004 -0400, Bob Howard wrote:
>    I have heard the click in the "earlier" solenoids, but have not been
>able to hear it in my 72's OD.  You may have to drop the solenoid out of
>the OD, apply the voltage and watch what happens.    Be careful when
>removing---don't pull the wire.
>Bob
>

> > Craig Tufty wrote:
> > > Hello:
> > > I fear that my overdrive solenoid may be defective on my 72mgb.
> > Any quick ways to test it?
> > >
> > > cwt

Check out the new British Cars Forum: