Re: installing inner fender guards

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: installing inner fender guards
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:09:57 -0700
I have mentioned this before but it is worth repeating.  Waxoyl is
excellent stuff but is mainly wax dissolved in mineral spirit with a rust
inhibitor thrown in.  The best wax is bee's wax because it never dries and
apparently leather found in Egyptian tombs was in good nick because it had
been treated with bee's wax. (I must check  up on that one day!). However,
there is a much better product that is used in aircraft and comes from
Europe.  It is used by nearly all the aircraft people, US and elsewhere,
(my helicopter mechanic friend told me they hate the stuff - it will not
come off!) but is not sold in the USA for cars because US consumers will
not pay the price as keeping a car for long is not in their agenda.   I
found a supplier in Canada and I have used it - great stuff but watch were
you spray it!   I got 12 cans for Cdn$136 because they only sell wholesale
and I reckon 6 cans are enough to do an MGB GT.

The US supplier is at  800-331-4304 and the stuff is called Dinol.

At 02:18 AM 8/31/04, Paul Hunt wrote:
>Hi Monte,
>
>Waxoyl remains sticky, and in fact on a hot day can liquidise and run - no
>bad thing for settling into panel joints.  It is really intended for closed
>sections, which now you have fender guards the areas behind them can be
>considered to be.  But for exposed areas there is also 'Finnigans Underbody
>Seal with added Waxoyl' which dries harder and resists abrasion but is still
>flexible, unlike the dreaded period manufacturers rubberised underseal.
>
>Cheers,
>Paul.

Barrie Robinson
MGB GT V8