Front sway bar mounts

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front sway bar mounts
From: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:38:32 -0400
I'm still working on replacing the front suspension on my 1980 MGB.  The
first side is almost done.  I ran into another challenge removing the
front sway bar (replacing it with a 3/4" one): on one side, both bolts
holding the bar to the frame came out OK, but on the other side, the
bolts started spinning as I was loosening them.  It feels like the
captive nuts that the bolt into are no longer captive (I'm assuming
there are captive nuts; I can't see them).  Any suggestions on how to
proceed?

Also, how freely should the kingpin turn?  My old one pivots almost
without any effort, but the rebuilt ones I'm putting on are very stiff
and can't be turned by hand.  I pumped some grease into them, but that
didn't seem to help.  I'd hate to go through the effort only to find
that I can't turn the car.

Thanks.

--Steve Shoyer (1980 MGB)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: