Re: New Member was Re: Strange place for a cotter pin

To: itswonderful@comcast.net
Subject: Re: New Member was Re: Strange place for a cotter pin
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:23:52 -0500
   Welcome to the list.  Yup, the engine has to come out.  Clutch and
flywheel have to come off in order to get at the rear seal.  Most people
pull the engine and tranny as a unit.  Some pull the engine alone.
However, unless you're positive it's the main seal leaking, I'd suggest
you clean the engine and bell housing thoroughly, then raise the car and
run the engine while crawling around under it to see where the leak is
coming from.  Sometimes there is a leak that lets oil run down the bell
housing and masquerade as a main seal leak.

   Cheers,

    CR

itswonderful@comcast.net wrote:
> Cool, first day on the list and one of my questions gets answered without
> having to ask it myself.  Thanks for the cotter pin info.
>
> I'm not an MGB newbie but it has been almost 15 years since I sold my '73
> roadster.  I just acquired a '73 GT, instantly fell in love with it and am
> looking forward to numerous "tightening up" chores and upgrades.  I'm hoping
> this list can help me come back up to speed on the MGB.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: