Re:help with a question to all

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:help with a question to all
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:24:53 EDT
In a message dated 14/10/2004 5:14:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

Hmmmmmmmmmm nope - I am not going to comment on your friends because  you
weren't asking about them (but if they keep doing this I would  consider
rebuilding THEM :-)

____________________________________

You'd have to be deaf to do that and not notice, however I don't see how
anyone could have the accelerator to the floor for "about half a minute"
without
topping out whatever gear they were in and then riding it at redline, which
makes them both deaf and......well, let's just say I doubt they could be the
brightest bulb in that particular chandelier.

Maybe it's time to stop using the old MG to give joyrides down at the
asylum....?

And Paul said: "Revving the engine till you get valve-bounce is known as an
Italian or Asian tuneup depending on where in the world you live."

Well not exactly, Paul.

Most of the Japanese and many Italian cars will not achieve valve bounce
(well, OK, maybe once, briefly...) as they are OHC engines. The Italian tune-up

was simply running the car up _near_ but not over redline to clean the crap
out  of it that accumulated from overly sedate driving.

I remember test driving a Jensen Interceptor convertible once, that the  lady
who owned it had probably never had above 3000 rpm. When I took it out and
really booted it (oh my goodness - 5000 RPM!), it belched out so much black
smoke (presumably consisting of the thick layer of carbon on the tops of the
pistons) that the guy behind us couldn't see, or maybe thought he was under
attack by some nefarious British weapon of mass distraction and pulled to the
side of the road.

The owner protested in shrill manner, becoming positively strident when the
aftermarket cruise control promptly jammed at the full throttle setting a
couple  of seconds later, but that's another story.

Bill

Check out the new British Cars Forum: