Re: Timing Mark Question

To: "S. Allen" <sallen3663@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Timing Mark Question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:55:19 +0100
A 74 1/2 should have a manifold source for the distributor vacuum in which
case you *must* disconnect and plug the pipe from the manifold or you will
end up with very retarded timing.  When reconnecting the vacuum it should
advance by 10 degrees.

As to the timing it all depends on what engine and distributor you currently
have.  Originally a North American (I assume) would have had  an 18V 797,
798, 836 or 837 with a 45D4 41599 distributor.  The original setting for
this was 13 degrees at 1500 rpm, but that was with the fuel available at the
time.  Different parts and very different fuels mean the best setting for
your engine is as advanced as it will go without pinking at any combination
of throtle, revs and load.

PaulH.