Re: heater valve question

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Re: heater valve question
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:43:22 -0600
I have a '69 B which didn't generate any heat no matter what position
the valve was in (the cable moved the valve).  Turned out the valve was
plugged up.  You might want to remove the valve and check that. A
cardboard is easily made. I don't know about the RBBs but in my
experience with the CBBs, the heater control doesn't have enough throw
to move the valve from full on to full off.  I have mine set to turn all
the way off and maybe 3/4 open.  If I lived in a cold climate such as
yours I'd do it the other way around in the winter and reset it in the
summer. There's some adjustment available at the valve by moving the
cable housing.

   A permanent fix might be to drill another hole in the arm on the
valve, closer in to the center, in order to get more movement.

   A related experience of mine is that in the fall and winter I have to
cover my oil cooler and half the radiator in order to get the engine up
to the normal temp reading.  However my B has only 10K miles on a
complete rebuild of the engine, including the radiator and a new water pump.