Re: Mastercylinder

To: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>, bill king
Subject: Re: Mastercylinder
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:07:36 -0600
At 10:56 AM 11/27/04 -0600, Rocky Frisco wrote:
>bill king wrote:
>
>>The MGA uses a hydraulic cylinder with a bore of .875". .... Some cars
>>may be found with Sprite/Midget 3/4" bore master cylinders. ....
>>What are the implications of the smaller bore?  I can see longer brake
>>pedal travel and potential issues with clutch release ....
>
>Smaller bore on the Master means more braking power with less pedal
>pressure. If the brakes and clutch are adjusted right, the longer pedal
>travel should not be a problem.

Careful there Rocky.  Smaller bore master cylinder does indeed make for
longer pedal travel.  Properly adjusted brakes may be serviceable, but then
again maybe not for a harsh stop with high pedal force where the MC may hit
end of stroke (especially with all drum brakes).  Clutch operation may
require the clutch pedal to be depressed full stroke, litterally into the
carpet to achieve full release, and the smallest bit of air in the system
can defeat it all together.  This is not a good thing.  If you have a 3/4"
bore MC in the MGA I would recommend swapping in a proper 7/8" bore unit at
earliest convenience.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com