RE: Repairing cast iron

To: "'MG LIST'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Repairing cast iron
From: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:18:03 -0700
Yes, cast iron can be repaired.

One, not very elegant method, would be to patch it.  Anything from a welded
patch to an epoxied patch.  It doesn't make much difference what material
you use to patch with.  For instance you could use sheet metal and JB Weld.

The 'cleanest' repair can be done by machining out the broken area,
fabricating an acceptable patch that fits in the newly machined hole, then
welding it in place.  This welding is best left to someone with experience
in welding cast iron.  I've seen this done using nickel stick, with an ark
welder.  The experienced welder may want to oven heat the pan and the patch
before welding it, then cooling it in warm sand for about 24 hours.

If the break (hole) includes the machined area where the pan bolts to the
block, you may want to purchase a new pan.  I would be concerned that the
forces at the lip of the pan would not do well if repaired.

Larry Hoy