Re: Fiat 124 question

To: "mgs" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fiat 124 question
From: Kevin Smith <ksmith40@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:07:20 -0600
I had a Spider when I was in High School.  I kept getting oil in my
water, yet no signs of water in my oil.  But my major problem was
synchronizers going out.  Now note that back then, there was no
internet, so for parts I had to hit up the local foreign car junk yard
and hope for the best.  That said, I switched out a transmission
without 2nd gear only to find that the replacement couldn't find 3rd
gear.  Go figure.  I still have the well used Hanes manual for that
car, somewhere.

Good points include;

1. Putting the top up and down with one hand, without getting out of
your seat.
2. When the wooden dash rots out, you just cut out a new one and stain
it up.  I actually had one made at a cabinet shop.
3. They handle VERY well, not as well as my Bertone X1/9 though..
4. They look classy, if painted the right color scheme.  Many have
cheesy 70's colors though (brown, tan, mustard yellow, etc).  And I do
think the MGB looks classier than the Fiat.
6. They have a somewhat usable back seat.  I hauled two friends back
there on Prom night.  Tight fit, but we made it alright.

Fun to drive though, and I would buy one today, if the price were right.
Kevin