ideal basic street use car

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: ideal basic street use car
From: "William Killeffer" <wkilleffer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:20:08 -0500
One of the recent posts asked what we consider our perfect basic street use
car. I would have to say either the late 70's early 80s BMW 320i, or the E36
BMW 3-series in general. I like the look of the 320i, and it's supposed to
be a decent runner and driver. It's a bit long in the tooth and may be
underpowered. I've never owned an E36, but would like to, even if it's a
sedan. I've driven several coupes and sedans, and found them to be great
fun. Even the ones with the four-cylinder engine were a blast to drive. If I
couldn't have one of those, I would like one of the shark-nosed, 80s BMW
5-series sedans with a 5-speed and a 2.5 litre six at least.
I haven't actually owned but a couple of cars on my own, but here some that
my family had and I drove:
1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme Sedan- learned to drive on this monster, loved the
350 ci V8. Got passed around various branches of the family before being
sold in early 90s.
1980 Olds Cutlass Supreme Coupe- parents bought it new and let me drive it
to school in mid 90s. Had big plans as a college sophmore to hot-rod it over
the summer, but totalled it in a wreck that wasn't my fault.
1978 Lincoln Versailles- inherited from great uncle. One of the most
interesting and troublesome cars I've ever driven. Dad drove it and got
stranded at least three times due to distributor and ignition computer
trouble.
1980 Buick Skylark Limited- inherited from cousin. Neat little car, but
could have been so much better had GM built it right from the beginning. The
FWD broke several times in one year and stranded Dad, so we sold it.
1978 Olds Delta 88- was great-grandfather's last new car and bought when he
was a salesman at the local Olds agency. Big, powerful, thirsty monster that
lasted for 135000 miles.
1990 Olds Cutlass Wagon- inherited from distant relative. As ho-hum as it
appeared, it drove like a sportier car. Easy on gas on the highway. Has over
150000 miles and youngest brother still drives it. Serious target for dings.
1997 Chevrolet S-10 LS 4cyl 5spd- first car I bought myself, bought used.
Liked it, but got tired of having to loan it and myself out all the time.
Nearly became a problem child and went through three O2 sensors in one year.
Sold in 2003 for $2500 cash.
1974 MGB- gift from wife on our wedding day. She knew I had wanted one since
the age of six
1993 BMW 325is- We got married in 2001, and decided we wanted a BMW. After
research and car hunting, we found this one and bought it. Other than a few
minor glitches and interior problems, it has been the best car I've ever
owned. Has over 140000 miles and will cruise all day at 100mph. We put
Bilstein sport shocks on it and it drives great.
1993 Ford Explorer XLT- came with spouse. Sold in 2002 for about $2000 with
working 4wd and nearly 200000 miles
1983 Jaguar XJ6- bought with truck sale money. Has been one of the more
interesting cars I've owned. Neat, but quirky and previous owner neglect
caused some issues. Would like to sell it or trade for one of the
above-mentioned BMW's.

-William Killeffer