MGB Speedo: To Repair or Not Repair

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB Speedo: To Repair or Not Repair
From: "David Macedonia" <david.macedonia@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 22:13:55 -0500
Hi All!

As I reported in a recent posting, both my tach and speedo in my '66B are not
working properly. I'm still diagnosing the tach problem (the needle jumps all
over the place although the engine is running great), but I think I've given
up on the speedo.

Basically, the speedo needle sticks. I removed it from the car and attempted
to repair it myself by cleaning the area around the magnetic "clutch" with a
spray solvent, but the problem still persists although the needle seems to
move more freely. However, I have noticed that the needle sticks if I tilt the
speedo face down, but not so if it's tilted face up. It feels like there is a
slight movement in the needle shaft that causes the magnetic clutch to bind
when a slight inward force is applied to the speedometer cable input
coupling.

In any event, I e-mailed two companies from the classified section of Classic
Motorsports and asked if they could fix it. Nisonger Instruments estimates
$125 (+S/H) for repair and restoration. Palo Alto Speedometer estimates $165
(+S/H). Both offer a one year warranty.

So, is it worth repairing? If so, by whom? I have no experience with either
company. Or, should I just buy another used unit (on ebay, perhaps) and take
my chances? Are new speedos available? Neither Moss nor VB indicate that they
are.

By the way, I was finally able to bleed my clutch hydraulics. Eezibleed did
the trick. The clutch works great, and I think I've got the
no-synchro-on-first thing figured out!

Thanks,

Dave

1966 MGB