Re: Seeking Advice on Oil Pump Replacement

To: "Steve Clifton" <sclifton@cfl.rr.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Seeking Advice on Oil Pump Replacement
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:43:05 -0000
The most common problems seems to be getting the gasket one side or the
other the wrong way round, which stops it picking up oil.  On the V8 the
recommendation is to pack the pump with Vaseline before fitting, then crank
with the plugs out until oil pressure starts to register.  Pretty instant
when I did that on the V8.  The 4-cylinder Workshop Manual says to check the
end-float of the rotor does not exceed .005", the lobe clearance does not
exceed .006", ensure the outer rotor is installed with its chamfered end to
the driving end of the rotor pocket in the pump body (I'd check a new pump
as well as an old), to lubricate all parts with engine oil, and check for
free rotation of the rotor before fitting to the engine.

PaulH.