Re: MGB heater box renovation

To: James Harwood <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: MGB heater box renovation
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:43:40 -0800
James,

Welcome to the world of The Heater Insanities.  Barney Gaylod's Chigaco web
site has some info including my slight modification that helps somewhat.  I
was going to write more on this subject but now I have forgotten the little
nuances that I discovered while refitting my heater.  I am sending you
photos separately as the list system does not allow
attachments.  Installation went something like this assuming console has
been taken out in cabin.   Attach flap cable to heater. Install heater on
bulkhead making sure cable goes through cut-out (as seen in
photo).   Attach the controls and fasten console.   Fit controls in console
and adjust left hand side one.   Remove the whole flap/vent thing on
passenger side and get someone to push the lever to close position (wives
are particularly handy here!).  Loosen bolts on the right hand side
flap  control and make sure all the slack is taken up and then
tighten.  You will need two 5/16 (??)open end spanners (wrenches) and
nimble fingers.  If you do not get all the slack taken up the control will
not open the flap fully.

I used felt on the flap as seems to be what was used on original.  But next
time I think I would use thin (1/16 ??) closed cell foam as found in the
medical supply stores.

At 10:16 PM 1/18/05, James Harwood wrote:
>I am in the process of renovating the heater box of my
>'74 MGB. The lower portion of this assembly, with the
>air control flap, was extremely rusty and the felt
>gasket material fixed to both sides of the flap was in
>very poor shape, was pulled out and discarded.
>
>Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement material
>that could be used for this? Preferably something that
>is moisture proof to some extent.
>
>The root cause of the problem was traced to a very
>blocked air intake drain tube which has now been
>relieved.
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice.
>James

Regards

Barrie Robinson
MGB GT V8
Aston Martin DB 2/4 MkII

Purveyor of O-ring kits for restoring Smith & Jaeger gauges,
    stainless steel mesh grilles, air vents & airdams and,
     sound deadening for MGBs