Re: Engine Colour, no- rbb bashing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Colour, no- rbb bashing
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:19:34 EST
In a message dated 02/02/2005 11:27:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

Maybe it's not the same as chrome cars. Big deal. BMC and BL  were
too cheap to replace it when it should have been replaced. What'd  it
get us? 25 years after the B, MG is still struggling to survive.

____________________________________

Not sure why some people are so sensitive  about their cars. We ARE talking
about a mechanical device you guys happen to  own, and saying that some of its
attributes aren't as good as some other  models hardly counts as a personal
shot - after all, you just own the thing,  you didn't build it, and you aren't
personally responsible for any of its  qualities.

Geez - if this sort of forum isn't the right  place to be able to discuss the
relative attributes of various models, what  is??

I own what is arguably either the ugliest or  perhaps the most beautiful
British car ever made (well, OK, there are only  about two people who think the
latter, but we are entitled to our opinion),  the Jensen CV-8, and I don't get
bent out of shape when someone says something  less than complimentary about
it.

I even criticise my own cars - I'd much rather  have the steel dash MGC than
the 1969 sofa-bolster model without a glovebox I  have.

My opinion, based on having driven both models  is that the early MGB is far
superior to the later one. The shortcomings of  the late cars have been
recited many times - appearance (or not, depending on  personal preference),
heavier, slower, poorer handling. That's all a matter of  fact, and any
objective
bystander would agree that the late cars are notably  inferior. That doesn't
mean
that they aren't worthy of a good home and don't  provide pleasure to their
owners.

I'm not sure why we seem to be able to say  that we prefer the all synch
gearbox, and the non-synch owners don't get all  huffy, or that we like the
steel
dash cars, and the pillow dash crew don't get  all up in arms, yet say what we
think about the RBB cars and stand back - the  moaning will soon follow. Do
you RBB owners have to pass some sort of secret  inferiority/sensitivity test
before you are allowed to buy an RBB or  something?

Get over it - they are all just cars,  guys.  Being sensitive about it
reminds me of a friend of a friend who  gets all bent out of shape when someone
laughs at her cat. She has one of  those hairless Sphynx cats that looks for
all
the world like a naked rat.  Needless to say, all it takes is for me to be in
the room with it, and I can't  help breaking out laughing, which always sets my
friend off too, and the owner  immediately takes umbrage at us for making fun
of her pet.  We long ago  ceased making suggestions that if she is sensitive
about what people think of  her pet, she just MIGHT have chosen the wrong pet
to own.  Given the  physiognomy of the cat, telling her she was thin-skinned
too seemed a  mistake......

Bill