Re: MGA packing set & caliper pistons

To: "Mike L" <renoman@sympatico.ca>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA packing set & caliper pistons
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:08:12 -0600
At 11:46 AM 2/13/05 -0500, Mike L wrote:
>.... I was wondering if there is any collective wisdom on the Moss body to
>frame Packing Set (281-778)? It's 28 pieces for $70. Is it worth the
>money, or has anybody bought some bulk material and made their own?

The Moss body packing kit is quite complete, can save a lot of time
scrounging for material and figuring out what is needed.  That said, it is
mostly 1/4 inch foam rubber and 1/8 inch cork.

For the foam rubber, closed cell is best to not absorb moisture.  Also
convenient is single sided sticky, and a thin plastic film on the other
side doesn't hurt.  Otherwise plain foam rubber and some rubber cement
works okay.  Look for rolls of the stuff at a local hardware store.  Rubber
cement works on the cork as well.  Cork gasket material is generally found
in large sheets at auto parts stores.  For more detail about what material
goes where on the car, check here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/restore/rt103.htm

You will first need to seal up the center tunnel:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/frame/fr109.htm
And the floorboards:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/frame/fr110.htm

>Also, my front caliper piston's are corroded - big bucks from Moss. I have
>heard that MGB pistons (without the hole) will work. That's a saving of $300.

If you pull the center pin out of the MGA caliper (or cut it off) you can
use the MGB pistons.  For explanation of how a caliper works with or
without the center pin, check here: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/brakes/bt104.htm

>Or has anyone hard chromed and reground the old ones.

Big $$$$.  Remove the center pin, use the MGB pistons, save about $200,
(Sorry Moss, but money is money)

$.02,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude