Re: Ball Joint and Tie Rod end Puller Group Purchase

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Ball Joint and Tie Rod end Puller Group Purchase
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:42:18 -0500
Looks like these Ball Joint and Tie Rod pullers are not as good as I had
thought.

A list member sent me this picture. This is the exact tool we are getting.

http://triumphspitfire.nl/brokensplitter.jpg

The directions with this tool say you can just keep cranking on the bolt and
the Ball Joint or Tie
Rod will pop out. It does not mention the apply pressure and tap on the joint
method.

That is exactly what the fellow did. His comments...

 >I applied pressure only, by tightening the bolt. The upper ball joints on
 >my Spitfire were very tight and the track rod ball joints didn't part
 >easily, either.

So these are not as good as we thought, and we are probably back where we
started when we thought we
were getting aluminum ones. If you apply too much pressure, the threads will
strip out of the
aluminum ones, and if you apply too much pressure with these, they will break.

I will use the apply pressure and tap on the joint method and hope it works.

If anyone wants out, let me know -- soon. I can send them back. If you already
sent the check, I'll
just tear it up when I get it.

Don Malling