New Petronix glitch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New Petronix glitch
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:54:10 EDT
Greetings,

When it failed, my old Petronix was polite and chose to crap out at the end
of my driveway.  I did the standard troubleshoot to eliminate other causes,
but I had a feeling that was the cause.  And when I put in the replacement
sourced from Moss--fast as always--the car started right up.  However, it  ran
like crap.  I tried to drive it three blocks and just made it  back.  The
engine
was severely backfiring, temperature gauge shooting  up the dial.

I called Moss and Jason said I probably had botched the install ever so
slightly.  So I redid it three times, but it didn't help.  Then I  started to
swap
old parts back in--I changed the dizzy cap and rotor, too--but  it wasn't
until I stuck the old circular magnet back in that presto!, the car  ran as
sweetly as it did before.  I undid the swap and put the new one back  in,
leaving
everything else unchanged, and the old crappy running  returned.  Old one
in--runs like a champ.

To be clear, this is the magnet that fits around the cammed rotor  drive.  I
tried to get a replacement magnet from Moss but they don't make  them that
way.  Hope this one holds up.
Only thing I can think is that it was the wrong magnet in the box, one for  a
different firing position.

That's the report from MG Electric Land, always a thrill, the  unexpected
around every corner, even if it ain't Lucas.

Jay Donoghue
72B-GT
66 Mustang