Motor Woes [RANT with a decent ending...]

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>, <MZOG@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Motor Woes [RANT with a decent ending...]
From: "TJ Tryon" <tjt@insightbb.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:35:32 -0500
I don't know what the deal is with motors and me.  I think the only things I
have that have good motors anymore are the two new cars I got in December.
They are good, because I purchased them brand new.  I don't tear things up;
I just tend to buy other peoples worn and abused stuff, and more than likely
they tell me things are fantastic, when in fact they aren't.

Skorpion Motorcycle Motor dropped a valve, chewed the piston up, etc. etc.
etc. - recently sold to a racer - was caused when the PO jacked with a valve
keeper when installing the x2 cam, or something along those lines.

MGB needs new rings (at a minimum), about 1/16" play in piston at the top -
Motor rebuild in progress, as well as sills - This is just plain worn out,
though it does run decent and still checks out to 125# +/- 3 all around.

Midget - some sort of fuel delivery issues - need to drop tank, check lines,
etc.  New fuel pump installed though.  Again, this was a barn find, so, what
can I expect.

And the latest:

My mechanic told me the Tequila Monkey (my '85 Glastron CVX18 Boat) needs a
new motor.  It went in to get new rings.  When he pulled everything apart on
the GM Mercruiser 5.7L, one of the piston crowns was broke, and two other
pistons skirts were broke off.  Walls were scored beyond machining, real
pain in the ass, considering I got the boat last summer, specifically
because it was supposed to have a good motor, and I have maybe 3 poor
running hours on the motor.

So, since I have issues with anything NOT new, and since I wanted something
reliable for the summer, I bought a new boat.  It's another Glastron, being
a GX 205.  Please help me name it.  I have put a web poll on my website for
my favorite 7 names.  Pictures will be posted when I pick up the boat next
week.

http://tj.lhc-group.com/  (poll is on the left nav bar)

Wish me luck on the other projects, though this time none is going to be a
boat.  I am getting rid of all my boat projects, including the Glastron, the
Cobra Bomber bass boat that was vandalized, and both mahogany ski boat
projects.  If you want to check the progress out on the other projects, be
sure to check out my picture galleries.