Re: Wire Wheel Rubber Band

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Rubber Band
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 16:00:14 -0700
Well, they were in Santa Cruz the last time I had to have my wheels trued...

Dang, I have a couple broken spokes, and Fresno is a long haul. Actually, I
don't know if they even do rebuilding any more.

My chrome rims and hubs are fine, but the brittle old spokes are starting to
go in bunches. What I'd like is to get my hands on a complete set of
stainless spokes at wholesale, lace 'em up myself, and have BWW true them,
and mount and balance the tires (since it's hard to find anyone local who
can do this competently). I don't know if it would be cost effective buying
the spokes retail -- probably exceed the cost of new wheels*. But I just
hate to throw things out..

Back to the original topic, Moss's website claims they have the rim band:
452-740
Rim Band, 14 In Wire Wheel
$13.95

*I don't know how the heck Moss is pricing these things, but according to
the website the short spokes are more expensive each than the long spokes
(WTF?), and just the spokes alone for a 14" 60-spoke chrome wheel run to
$478!!!! The whole wheel is only $278.95... I guess I should buy a set of
wheels, part them out for the spokes, and make a killing <g>.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149