RE: Resistive Cable

To: "Wil Clark" <wilc@unt.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Resistive Cable
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:18:23 -0700
OOPS!

This is the wire that runs down the right hand fender and across the
front of the car.  Since it is the resistive cable, you gotta figure
that it may have a higher resistance than a regular bit o wire, but one
never knows.  I've never measured one to find out.

I think your best bet is to substitute a regular ballast resistor
matched to the coil, as used in other vehicles.  Hopefully someone with
more savvy will have an impedance recommendation.  Many vehicles use the
same system of running full battery voltage to the coil on cranking,
then switching to a coil feed that is reduced by a resistor to a lower
voltage when running.

An alternative would be to bypass the resistive wire and go back to the
earlier concept of an un-ballasted coil such as a DLB101 or Sports Coil.
That's what I ended up doing on my 1980 that had a similar melt down
caused by rodent chomping.  The feed wire that used to go to the
resistive lead is hooked directly to the + terminal of the coil.  The
downside is that you lose the hotter spark during cranking which makes
starting a bit easier.

Let me know if this is an option you wish to pursue and I'll check the
color codes and routing of the wires that I hooked up.

BTW.  Moss does carry new blue harness tape, so the damaged section of
the loom can be made as good as new.

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf