Re: Great Words from an Experienced Tuner

To: matt@trebelhorn.com
Subject: Re: Great Words from an Experienced Tuner
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:19:14 EDT
In a message dated 16/06/2005 8:50:08 AM Pacific Standard Time,
matt@trebelhorn.com writes:

So, if you  accept that everything he says about the DCOE vs/ SU
question is true (I'm  trying to play nice), the only advantage to going
with a DCOE is in  throttle response.

And who would want fast throttle response in a  sportscar?  Why, it
could make you spill your  coffee...

____________________________________

;-)

I agree with pretty much everything he said  about the Weber on the siamesed
port engine. Slight increase in top end power,  often with attendant slight
loss down lower, depending on main venturi choice.  In either case, you are
sure
to have to deal with the problem of initial tuning,  as Webers are delivered
with jets, venturis, emulsion tubes etc. that suit an  OEM car - normally
Fiat, Alfa etc., and are often far away from what is needed  on an MG. Unless
you
have a very good Weber man on call, most people NEVER get  the thing properly
tuned.

The accelerator pump aspect is probably a tad  over-rated - an SU needn't
give much lag at all.

I think that the SU is a vastly underrated carb  - it can produce excellent
results in racing or street use if you know what you  are doing. The point is
that for 95% of applications, SUs are as good or better  - and the downdraft
Weber is nothing but a cruel joke, but it sure extracts lots  of dollars from
people intent on bragging rights who want to say they have a  Weber - when
someone with one of these starts bragging about his 'Weber' I  always say that
assume they mean a BBQ as the money would have been far better  spent that
way....

I admit to being a bit surprised at his  statement that the 1 1/2" SUs need
not be changed on even a fairly hot street  engine - I have found that they
work well without significant loss of low end on  engines that he'd use the
smaller carbs on. I guess you'd have to refer to  actual dyno results to see
which
is the more correct view, but I won't argue  with his findings - the guy seems
to have plenty of experience with street  conversions and tuning.

Don't misunderstand me - I like Webers a lot. On  an engine with separate
ports, properly tuned they can be an absolute delight.  Getting them properly
tuned on something like my Lamborghini (6 - 40 DCOE) is  more than a trivial
task, mind you.  I also like them on race engines, and  have used them both in
my
TVR (HRG head) and on my Twincam, but remember that in  those applications I
don't really care at all about low speed driveability - as  long as it offers
smooth power delivery between about 4000 RPM and red line  (6500 on the TVR,
7800 on the Twincam) I am happy.

I guess I just found some straight talk on this  subject refreshing - I have
seen so many people with MGs with thrashed engines,  the rockers wobbling on
the worn shafts, the distributors on their last legs,  the valve seats probably
looking like they were carved from lumps of coal, and  do they want to do a
proper rebuild? No, they want to stick a Weber, or one of  those stupid Mallory
distributors or some other bit of automotive flash on their  lump because it
will not only (in their own minds, anyway) be a cure-all, but  will also offer
bragging possibilities.

Bill