What's the Point.....

To: MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com
Subject: What's the Point.....
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:05:06 EDT
Thought I'd mention something that came up in ofline discussion.

The old Lucas point sets used to be pretty foolproof. Get the Cooper S set
and they wouldn't bounce until far higher than any British car had any right to
 rev, and they were reliable to boot.

I understand that Lucas is no longer in the point business and has licensed
this to others, I believe in the UK rather than in the orient, with rather
mixed  results. Some sets wear out prematurely and most need to be set at wider
than  normal clearances so that the initial accelerated wear doesn't close the
gap  completely.

I have no idea what Moss is sourcing these days, or what other people are
selling. Have people noted a n increased level of problems with points sets
(some of which are still labelled as Lucas even though made under  license)?

The Lucas distributors are pretty reliable as long as you keep them
maintained. Unfortunately, most people don't seem to know that they need to be
looked
at and they wear the bushes out in blissful ignorance, with timing  leaping
all over the map as a result. I even had one seize on the MGC, resulting  in a
sudden and puzzling cessation of noise - until I had SWMBO crank the engine
while I watched the distributor with cap off and nothing moved....

Bill