Installing door panels

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Installing door panels
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:18:52 -0700
Having learnt the hard way I thought I would pass on the "knowledge".

I had a professional install the Prestige kit for my MGB GT.   The bloke
showed me the trouble he was having with the door panels.  If he moved the
door latch to fit the hole in the panel the door would not lock (this all
done with the door hanging open).  If he moved the door latch to allow it
to work the hole in the panel did not match.  So he was thinking of some
constructive surgery with adjustment to internal rods - but it would put
cost over estimate - I said leave it   So with the MGB GT back at my own
cosy garage I pondered as there was this wisp of knowledge right at the
back of my brain.

A liberal application of Charles Wells ( an English beer fit for the gods)
resulted in a momentous moment of recall!   The latch will NOT, at ANY
time, lock when the door is open ..... only when it is closed.  So fitting
the door panel to fit the door latch when the locking mechanism will not
work IS FINE!!!  Obviously the latch was designed so that one could not
lock a door in the open position - only when it was closed.  Problem solved
except the nasty US bright yellow plastic fasteners are pretty horrible to
use - so I used Velcro !!!  I put it all round the panel and stuck it to
the particle board off the vinyl.

As an aside I did not use a plastic sheet under the panel but the
cheaper-Dynamat-like soundproofing stuff.  My advice here is do not apply
the stuff until you are absolutely sure you are finished - it is terrible
to get off!!

Regards

Barrie Robinson

MGB GT V8
Aston Martin DB 2/4 MkII
705-721-9060

Purveyor of O-ring kits for restoring Smith & Jaeger gauges,
                       Stainless steel mesh grilles, air vents & airdams and,
                       Sound deadening material and kits for MGBs