Re: Electrical

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:47:45 +0930
On 13 Jul 2005, at 12:15 AM, ATWEDITOR@aol.com wrote:

> Brian,
>
> I had my headlight switch crumble in my hands last winter.  I had a
> suspicion something was amiss when it stopped clicking from one
> position to the  other
> and just slid from off to position/fog lights to full lights.  If
> it  happens
> like my experience, it is very possible for a hot lead to come on
> contact
> with the dash board's metal backing.  That's my guess.

Ha!

I posted some of my "electrical" experiences to this list when I
joined - so many electrical bits (switches and wiring) have been
replaced that I never have electrical problems these days... hold
on... so why is she sitting in the garage with a flat battery??? That
story later...

I remember two good ones.

Firstly I remember driving in the very dark hills outside of Adelaide
just after midnight on new year's (a few years ago now) with a lovely
girl who I promised a top-down drive to bring in the New Year.
Remember, New year in Australia is the height of Summer, and it was a
hot one this night.

Driving along an unlit twisty bit of the road (which most of it is
there), hit a small bump and the headlights die immediately.  Pitch
black and her scream resonated throughout the hills :-)  Stopped and
pulled off the wires from the switch - twisted them together and
drove home safely.

I replaced that switch with one of a similar vintage and a few moths
later I turned on the headlights only to be greeted with a stream of
smoke from behind the dashboard (in the middle of five lanes of
traffic).  THAT switch just crumbled as I removed it.

Yes - it is likely to be the switch :-)

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia