Re: Rostyle Painting

To: FlynShoot@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rostyle Painting
From: "Paul T. Root" <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:00:39 -0500
Silver first. And get some good tape, like the 3M blue masking tape.

You'll find the mask doesn't work very well.

Spend the time taping carefully, and you'll have a much better result.

And actually, it looks pretty good in all silver.

BTW, it's not really silver. The Moss rattle can is a good color.
Otherwise, there's a Ford color that is about right. Don't remember
the name. Among the sites to search for the right color is University
Motors. They actually have the silver done in powdercoat.

Ah, here's the University Motors info:

Rostyle Wheels according to John Twist:
This is the method we use at University: Remove the tire, have the rim
sandblasted and powdercoated in a slightly metallic medium silver --
similar to FM 149 or TM 211 (both Duplicolor, matching 1976 Ford Grenada
Silver), then rough up the area which should be black with a Scotchbrite
pad, then paint that area with a brush in satin black enamel. We use
high gloss enamel because it looks better. Then, if you wish, coat the
entire wheel in clear (you'll need to have scuffed the whole wheel to
get it to stick).

--
    ______      Paul T. Root
   /    _ \     1977 MGB