Tales of Woe

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tales of Woe
From: Mike Torrusio <miket@maine.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:22:26 -0400
Forgive me if this is a duplicate.  I'm not sure just how this list
works yet.

My '71 MGB is my daily-use car.  Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring.
I can tell you that you can't go in more than 6-inches of snow (studded
tires or no) because the wheels leave the ground.
About a month or so ago I had a new (if you believe my mechanic)
radiator put in.  Since then the car has been running hot and with the
onset of real warm weather, I had to pull my thermostat other wise the
temp gauge went right up to the white square at "H".
But even without  the thermostat, driving along at highway speeds
(70-75) she is still almost pegged at the "H".

Now, I'm ready to replace the water pump except that I also have the
following problem and am thinking it may be related.

When starting off - like from a light - (warmed up), I give 'er gas and
she s..l..o..w..l..y  starts off and then Oh My God! Here We
Goooooo!!!!
  Then, we get up to cruising speed - let's say 65, and step on the gas
and --- nothing happens.

We accelerate - slowly - to about 70 and then, nada.  Put your foot
through the floorboards and hold it there and the car won't go over
4500 rpm's.
(which may be good because I won't be able to over-rev and blow the
engine, but is absolutely no fun.)

And, if I drive like that, my gas mileage is about 15, maybe 16 MPG.
It was around 20 highway driving.

And, lastly, as I drive along at 65, foot steady, no attempt at
accelerating - since it won't anyway - the engine "hiccups", that is,
it's as if someone reaches down and shuts the ignition.
It only lasts a second and then off we go.

Any suggestions?  I drive to Augusta and Bangor on a regular basis and
the heat, hiccups and fuel consumption is getting me down.

Cordially,

Michael Torrusio, Jr.
Paralegal
Manager