Re: Marque

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Marque
From: Ric Johnson <johnsonr@dwx.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:47:58 -0500
Mike Razor writes:
>Not a real barn burner question but is Marque pronounced "Mark" or "Markee"?
>I have always pronounced it "Mark" but have heard it the other way and yes I
>have a dictionary but it is holding up the leg of my computer desk.

I've had this discussion many times and here is what my Random House has to
say:

Marque: A product model or type, such as a sports car and pronounced mark

Marquee: A roof like shelter above the entrance to a theater, usually
containing the title of a currently featured play or film and pronounced markee

Marquis: A nobleman ranking next below a duke and pronounced markee or markwis

Ric Johnson
Des Moines, Iowa
'71 MGB, '74 MGB-GT, '75 MGB
Webmaster, www.iowabritishcarclub.com