This is scary stuff

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: This is scary stuff
From: Mike Torrusio <miket@maine.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:29:21 -0400
Well, at 6 AM I couldn't take it anymore and e-mail suggestions in hand
went to the car and checked the points.
  They looked pretty closed - in fact I couldn't get a .15 gauge
through. So, I set the points to .15, and did nothing else (except
grease the cam which probably hadn't seen grease in 30 years, and put a
few drops of oil under the rotor.

  Started it up and boom it idled at 1500 rpm - about 500 more than it
was.

  Took it on the road and I am still in shock. The engine has more pep,
I can get the revs up over 4500 and, in the cool of the morning, the
temp gauge only went to the hot side of N.

  I can't believe that changing the gap that small amount made such a
difference.

  Coming home, in the heat of the day, the temp gauge went up to within
one, maybe one and a half needle widths of the H. Much better, but
still too hot.

  Where do you suggest I go from here?

  Oh, one other small thing. I looked at the front pulley on the engine
and found the line for timing, but I just can't find the little timing
adjustment tang that is supposed to be down there somewhere.

  Any suggestions as to where to look, or is it possible that someone
took it off?

  Thanks.

  Mike T. 1971 MGB

Paralegal