Re: Whiny alternator

To: MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Whiny alternator
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:14:29 +0930
On 19 Aug 2005, at 11:33 PM, Keith G. wrote:

> Last evening the alternator on my '79 B started whining.  Is this an
> omen of impending failure?  Should it be replaced before any further
> driving?  I don't know off hand if it is the original one or not.
> (It's been in there since I got the car in 1999, but that only
> encompasses about 2000 miles.)

  I'd guess it was on its way south.

I wish mine gave a warning.  On my way to my first competitive run in
a hillclimb the other week, as always, an early start in the dark so
my headlights were on, and the car just sputters to a halt halfway to
the track.  Tried to re-start and... nothing (and the headlights are
dead, too).

Amazingly I am carrying my emergency tools and kit (as I do when I am
competing... I have to drive the thing home afterwards) including my
power-pack, jump-starter thing (whatever you call it).  Took the
battery cover off and hooked up the jump-starter (by this time the
sun is coming up and I don't need the headlights) and she fires up,
so I head off for the half hour drive to the track.

I found a battery charger at the track and put the car on that after
scrutineering so I had enough power to compete.  Then plugged in the
jump-starter for the drive home.  Absolute life saver spare battery!

Now, why didn't I notice that the alternator wasn't charging?  I
reached up behind the dash and the wire onto the charge-light falls
off in my hand!

How on earth can these things manage to coincide???

I now have a new alternator and regulator.

If I had that early warning I would have changed the thing (tested it
and kept the old one as a spare if it seemed OK).  If you have had
five years use out of the thing it isn't such a big expense to save
yourself the hassle in the middle of the night on some lonely road.

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia