Clutch Drag or Transmission?

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Drag or Transmission?
From: Dennis Luther <DennisLuther@primhall.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:32:28 -0400
My '77 B usually runs, drives and shifts fine.  It's got a late model
overdrive that I just changed the oil in and cleaned up the filter and
solenoid.  It shifts great.

The problem is that sometimes I can't shift in to any gears from a stop -
especially first.   Sometimes when trying to back out of the garage (trying
to engage reverse), the gears are still spinning and it would grind the
teeth if I were to force it.
(Syncronizers?)  Other times it works just fine.

Sometimes I detect a slight drag with the clutch pedal pushed in as if the
car is still under power.  This only happens periodically. Obviously, the
transmission would not like to be shifted when this occurs.   I have bled
the clutch hydraulics a while back, it did not seem to cure the symtom.

I seem to remember some old postings about the clutch linkage wear being a
problem but I haven't actually inspected for this.  Is there something in
the clutch itself that could manifest these problems? or does it sound like
transmission trouble?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dennis Luther
77 MGB twin HS-4's