RE: MGB question

To: "Bill McLeod" <wbmcleod@cox.net>,
Subject: RE: MGB question
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:35:28 -0700
Bill:

The engine compartment was altered in two stages.

When the rubber bumpers were introduced in late 1974 the following V8
changes were made:

V8 front cross member installed.  This moved the steering rack forward
and gave more clearance for the V8 oil pan.

V8 steering rack, u joint and steering column installed.  This provided
clearance for the exhaust manifolds.

V8 engine compartment changes.  Engine mounting locations.  Clearance
dimples for exhaust manifold in the inner fenders.  Transmission tunnel,
firewall modifications to clear V8 heads.  This included relocating the
steering U-Joint up into a cup on the firewall and also changing the
accelerator pedal to work with the modified firewall.

For the 1977 model year the final alterations were incorporated:

V8 radiator mountings installed with cooling fans.  This includes new
radiator side mounting panels, new bonnet lock platform drilled for the
electric cooling fans, new radiator duct panel assembly to work with
relocated radiator.

The 1977 onward radiator location change can be done fairly easily to a
1974.5 -76 chassis, which means that any of the cars from 74.5 onward
will take a V8 fairly easily.

I've made the later changes to an early chassis, it can be done, but
it's a lot of work.

If anyone is interested I do have a full set of 1977-80 MGB New front
duct panel sheet metal available for a very reasonable price.  I was
going to convert a 1966 BGT, then decided against it.

Bonnet Lock Platform
Platform Brace
Radiator Duct Panel
Duct Panel Support