Re: Caliper Rebuild

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Caliper Rebuild
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:40:28 -0400
----- Original Message -----

> Subject: Caliper Rebuild
>
> I am rebuilding my brake calipers on my 66 B.  I am having a heck of a
> time trying to seat the metal dust seal into the caliper.

This is how I've done it on MGA's & MGB's.

Insert the piston 1/2 way. Slide the rubber dust seal and metal retainer
ring over the exposed portion of the piston. (use a little brake fluid as
lube) Put an old retainer *upside down* on top of the new retainer. Use an
old brake pad (or a circular piece of plywood slightly larger in diameter
than the OD of the retainer) and a C-clamp (aka G-clamp) to press the
retainer into place.

The piston will keep the retainer straight. The old retainer - upside down -
pushes the new one into place.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell