RE: electric vs water choke?

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@MGAguru.com>, "bill"
Subject: RE: electric vs water choke?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 10:20:04 -0700
Barney:

This design of pump is very different from the big ole rotary one Carter
makes.  I had one of those in my MGB GT V6 and I agree it was awful.
Sitting at an intersection with the turnsignal on was the worst.

It sounded like Eehore (sp) was in the back seat.

The illustrated pump in low pressure does work very well if you can come
up with enough of a straight run to mount it.  I ran one in a B for a
long time using a MG Midget muffler mounting L bracket attached to the
side of the battery tray.  I'm also running one in my Rover SD1 after
converting to Carbs.  The pump fit right in the original location, with
just an adapter sleeve to increase the fitted diameter.

If you use this type of pump, check the inlet as I had one mounted in my
3.8S by a DPO that did not have an external filter before the pump.  The
inlet line had a tiny cone shaped filter that got totally plugged up.

I say DPO because the 3.8S came with twin SU pumps, one each in the rear
fenders.  It was a very British set up and butchering it to fit
mismatched non-original pumps was a shame.  Luckily I as able to come up
with all the uncut original lines from a parts car, so I can put it back
to stock.

Sorry, I digressed.

Back to the original discussion.  My race car sat for 10 years and when
I finally stuffed a new engine in it the SU fuel pump would not work.  I
smacked it with a hammer and so far it has been working happily for the
last 5 years.  If only children could be handled so effectively.

Kelvin Dodd

Behalf