RE: Roll bars and such

To: <kmwheeler@ualr.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Roll bars and such
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:45:44 -0700
Keith:

As always good to hear from you.

Roll bar and cage design is critical as it is easy to build entrapment
into the devices.

I co-drove a pro-rally car once that had side intrusion bars, but the
inner door panels had been later cut out.  The natural place to rest
your arm was over the intrusion bar, meaning that if the outer door
panel was impacted there was a high likelihood that your arm would be
trapped between the bar and outer panel.  Nasty!

Hopefully this winter I will have a chance to update the structure in my
65B as tech wants a better head restraint system, and I figured that was
a good time to install the front legs of a Safety Devices cage.  The
problem is that the legs don't come anywhere near to fitting tightly to
the windshield frame, so some bending is going to be necessary.  Joy!

The comment on seats is also important, as another car I co-drove in had
a stock bucket for the co-driver, but a high quality racing seat for the
driver.  On a later event the stock bucket seat failed during a roll
over incident and the co-driver was concussed.  At that time I'm sure
the driver would have been happy to have changed his nifty racer seat
for that of the co-driver who was left unconscious in an upside down
burning car.

Kelvin Dodd

Paddington