Re: Leak-Down Vs Compression

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leak-Down Vs Compression
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:33:42 -0700
on 9/26/05 4:06 PM, Dodd, Kelvin at doddk@mossmotors.com wrote:

> Heck, I'm starting to go bad after sitting for just a couple of hours.

Heh heh... but that's your EC module... or your knee-action shocks...

> Max:
>
> There are a few areas to be careful of.  The valves can stick in the
> guides and the rings can create a corroded and or deformed ridge in the
> cylinders.  Rings can also become stuck, so they are not capable of
> sealing tapered cylinder.  Oil and carbon can do some pretty evil things
> when they sit around together for too long, not to mention the acidic
> byproducts of combustion.  A leak down test is going to give some sense
> of the condition of the valves and rings before cranking the motor over
> and perhaps putting a valve through a piston.  Turning the engine over
> by hand is the first task.

I know there is a lot that could be wrong with an old engine in "unknown"
condition, but he said he had already fired it up, before he pulled it. So
I'm assuming he didn't observe anythng bad, or he wouldn't have been asking
this question. If it wasn't particularly high mileage, or known to be a
"smoker" previously, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it required
rebuilding. I'd run it for awhile and see how it behaved.

Once you pull the head "for inspection purposes", you've practically already
made the decision to do major work. It justs starts the "might as well..."
snowball rolling.

Of course, if you have unlimited time and money, feel free to knock yourself
out...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149