Re: Brake servo, was Faultless MGB-GT

To: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>,
Subject: Re: Brake servo, was Faultless MGB-GT
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:32:31 -0000
I've heard of that test, but neither of mine do it.  A non-functioning servo
is also supposed to be an MOT failure, mine both pass, so I don't know how
they do test them.  Unless it is the clicking dying away and the pedal not
going down as far with each press as the vacuum reservoir is 'emptied' after
the engine has been turned off.  I was touring Ireland with a friend and his
was locking on and causing the brakes to drag badly, so eventually we pulled
the pipe off the servo, put the ceramic end of a spare plug up the pipe, and
tightened the clamp!  I had a go with it like that and apart from the first
time when I did a test brake to see how much difference it made I simply
didn't notice its absence in normal driving.

BTW, how do you trans-gender an MGB? :o)

PaulH.